Thursday 17 July 2014

Review: Zui Jia Ren by TheTeaTee.ch

Having been tempted by a Sencha from Thé Tea Tee, which I had found at a local workshop, I set out to find the teashop. As well as a little Sencha, I came away with Zui Jia Ren and the knowledge that semi fermented oolongs are sometimes called bleu-vert in French (literally blue-green). I like this blue-green appellation as it makes these oolongs more easily distinguishable from green oolongs or other green teas.

Confusingly, for us Swiss based folks, the Germans seem to call semi fermented tea Roter Tee, literally red teas. This is not only confusing for trans rosti-graben shopping but also because the Chinese name for what we call black teas translates as red teas. (The chinese use the term black tea only for Pu'erhs). As Chinese teas increase in popularity in Europe, expect more confusion.

Zui Jia Ren [Blue-Green, woody, China] *** $$$  by The Tea Tee, Switzerland

Other Names: ??
I found a comment on a post of another tea blog which suggests Zui Jia Ren is a new varietal of Dan Cong Oolongs (. These normally have a Xiang somewhere in the name. 

This is in the style of my favorite oolongs, dark and woody. I liked this tea but prefer Da Hong Pao or Tie Luo Han, as this one has a slightly harsher taste. It occurred to me that those who like Lapshong Souchong tea might like this harsh possibly slight smokey character to the Zui Jia Ren.


Similar teas: Oolong teas, Da Hong Pao, Tie Luo Han, Fancy Oolong



No comments:

Post a Comment